Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, the prolific and versatile singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker was born on 8 September 1926 in Sadiya, Assam. His songs are marked by humanity and universal brotherhood and have been translated and sung in many languages. He received the National Film Award for Best Music Direction in 1975. Recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1987), Padmashri (1997), and Padmabhushan (2001). Hazarika was awarded with Dada Saheb Phalke Award (1992), India’s highest award in cinema, by the Government of India and Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (2008), the highest award of the Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s The National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama. He was posthumously awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian award, in 2012.
Kolkata Assamese Cultural Association and Bhupen Hazarika Cultural Trust will jointly organize the 91st Birth Anniversary celebration of the legend Dr. Bhupen Hazarika in the month of September 2017 in Kolkata. The organizers will publish Bhupendra Jyoti, a trilingual souvenir. You can pay tribute to the legend through your writings in prose or poetry or article format either in Assamese or English or Bengali.
To get your writings nominated the following rules have to be adhered:
- All the writings should be related to the life, personality, music, vision, etc. of the legend Dr. Bhupen Hazarika.
- Any writings, previously published in newspapers or magazines will not be accepted.
- Article or prose should be within a maximum of 800 words.
- Articles should be submitted in soft copy / scan copy of clear handwriting or typed in PDF format.
- Send / mail your writings to [email protected]
- Last date of submission August 10, 2017
Let’s make this occasion memorable and relive the essence of communal amity, universal justice and empathy through the works of the one of the greatest sons of the soil, Dr Bhupen Hazarika.